I’m asked about improving egg quality a lot, so thought I’d write a blog and Easter week seemed like the perfect opportunity! 🥚
Great egg quality starts with great nutrition which is the cornerstone of balanced hormones.
Having balanced hormones means that you’ll have the right hormones kicking off at the right time throughout your cycle to support conception if you’re trying to conceive. Our fertility and hormone balance matters even if not trying to conceive, so this advice is useful for all menstruators!
Ways to support egg quality and ovulation:
1) An abundant mix of bright and green leafy veg. Full of nutrients, support blood sugar balance and contain antioxidants that can help to prevent cell and therefore egg damage.
2) Maintaining blood sugar with complex carbs, lean protein and healthy fats. So something like berries with natural yoghurt and almond butter is a great combination as this helps to prevent blood sugar spike. Spikes in blood sugar increase stress, stress hormone cortisol, inflammation and cause a knock on effect to hormonal balance over time.
3) Correct nutrients. As well as having a great general nutritional intake, you may wish to consider supplementing the following. Zinc, magnesium, calcium, vitamin B12/E/D3 (a prenatal multivitamin will usually have these) selenium (see my post on period pain the other day for a list of the benefits)
4) Supplements such as Inositol which is a B vitamin and great for blood sugar control and supporting ovulation (especially if you have pcos) folate, the natural source of vitamin B9 (supplements often contain the man made version folic acid) also supports fertility and ovulation. Omega 3 and DHA support cell energy production. Coenzyme Q10 is an antioxidant and also helps to support cell/egg energy. Melatonin is another antioxidant which is helpful to support the egg and fertilisation, it’s also the sleep hormone and can support healthy sleep. Poor sleep increases stress in the body and affects metabolism, it also increases the likelihood of sugar consumption which can impact on inflammation in the body. Iodine is important to support the thyroid, hormone regulation and breast health although check your thyroid levels and get medical advice first.
5)Acupuncture and reflexology have both been shown to support blood flow, there’s huge amounts of anecdotal support and there’s more and more research carried out in each. My preference would be reflexology (Im a reflexologist!) as it’s super relaxing too and the sleep during a treatment feels so refreshing! If you’d can have both, do it! You can also practice reflexology on your hands.
6) Stress management is so important so including mindset and mind-body techniques definitely helps. I have some fabulous techniques in my 12 week program. Message if you’d like to book onto this powerful program that helps to reduce stress and increase feelings of calm and relaxation, restore physical, mental and emotional balance and wellbeing. Restore hormonal balance, regulate the natural balance in the autonomic nervous system, regulating and restoring healthy immune system function. The program can also help to identify resolve issues which may be preventing conception (unconscious or conscious resistance)
The 12 week hormonal health program I provide can support the above in the following ways:
Helping you to reduce stress and increase feelings of calm and relaxation. Stress harms our hormonal balance due to increased amount of stress hormone cortisol which over time affects our reproductive and thyroid hormones. By decreasing stress we can support our hormonal balance.
Reducing stress also supports sleep, disrupted sleep can cause additional stress on the body. Being excessively tired also means it can be harder to stick to nutritious food choices. When we’re tired caffeine and sugar can seem tempting, although excess can contribute to inflammation in the body. Increased inflammation can cause increase in painful periods, as well as being associated with conditions such as PCOS, endometriosis, thyroid autoimmunity and rheumatoid arthritis.
Restoring physical, mental and emotional balance and wellbeing. Balance can be restored through relaxation, positive cognitive changes, visualisation and changes to diet, exercise and lifestyle
Restoring hormonal balance, regulating the natural balance in the autonomic nervous system, regulating and restoring healthy immune system function
Creating balance in the body can be further enhanced by creating balance in thinking. Decreasing negative self talk and excessive worry will help restore emotional and physical balance and ensure that these changes are maintained.
Identifying and resolving issues which may be preventing conception (unconscious or conscious resistance)
As well as all of the above it has been shown that having some impartial to talk to, to offload concerns and set achievable goals can all help to support your health and wellbeing. When we work together, you have me on hand throughout your 12 week program and for 2 weeks following. You’ll also receive amazing resources and education to support your journey, as well as ongoing support from me and our community.
You can find out more and book your free trial session here: